Monday, May 23, 2011

The Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 1

 
 It's May 23rd and the first day of the Flats and Handwashing Challenge! You can check out the "Official Rules" if you're interested in reading more about what's going on or if you need a refresher. So how are things going for me? So far, pretty good!

Little man woke up this morning at his usual time and he went straight into the Swaddlebees Unbleached Flat (that I pre-folded the night before). The fold turned out ok and I have to admit, the Snappi is still a bit tricky for me to figure out. But, the important thing is, the diaper stayed on!

Then I put him in his Zookies cover, covered his sweet knees with some baby legs and he was off to run around!


Playing with mommy's slippers
I changed him one other time before nap time and didn't have any leaks! (Yay!) I practiced the origami fold all day today, because, practice makes perfect! Then it was nap time! Little man is a stomach sleeper, so I wanted to make sure that he had plenty of absorbent layers. So, I folded the Zabi Baby Bamboo Flat in an origami fold and then placed a Hemp Babies Flat Weeds Diaper (Flat folded) in the center. Hubby helped out and diapered little man - he even used the snappi! He wrapped all that up in a Thirsties cover and put little man down for his nap. :) When little man woke up...no leaks! Yay! I was so happy to have created a combo that worked for nap time!
Hubby putting on the Snappi for the nap time diaper!

headed upstairs for nap time...look at that huge fluffy butt!
The rest of the day went well - We even ventured out for a bit of shopping today! I kept checking little man's pants to see if they were leaking...but nope, no leaks! Maybe he didn't leak because I change him quite a bit more frequently. I feel like flats won't hold quite as much, so I'm quick to change him. I was surprised though, every time I took off the diaper cover, the flat wasn't soaked like I thought it would be. It was wet, but they definitely can hold a lot more than I think I give them credit for! I also felt like I got a bit better at the origami fold as the day progressed. I definitely felt more confident! The Snappi and I are becoming friends and I feel like I am getting the hang of it. Hubby absolutely loved using the Snappi! I'm pretty sure he thinks it's the greatest invention ever for the cloth diapering world. 

It's a gray day here, so I'll be washing the flats and covers tonight and hang them to dry overnight. I'll post again with some pictures of the origami fold as well as how hand washing in the tub goes!






Zookies provided a cover, Zabi Baby provided a Snappi and a Bamboo Flat, and Ju-Ju Monkey provided Hemp Babies Flats for me to use for the challenge. Special thanks to Swaddlebees for sponsoring me with two dozen flats to use for the Flats and Handwashing Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment