Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Nightime Diapering with Flats and a Funny Story - Day 3 #FlatsChallenge




I'm participating in this years Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry and today is an open topic day. 

Ahhh...night time. One of my worries was whether or not flat diaper would keep little Riley dry while he was sleeping. I was hoping to get through the nights unscathed and wake up next to a happy and non-soaked little boy. Well, after 2 nights in flats, the score is 

Woke Up Dry: 1 
Woke Up Wet: 1

Bummer. Sorry Riley. The first night was great. I used the Zabi Baby Bamboo flat diaper in an origami fold. I have actually put him to bed with this diaper before with great success. Well, I made sure that I washed it and hung it outside to dry yesterday, so I could use it that night. I did the same thing for night two: Zabi Baby bamboo flat diaper, origami fold, cover, pj's, done! Well, he woke up this morning and his diaper had leaked out the side. Rats. It wasn't a huge leak, but still. As I was changing him into a fresh diaper and a new outfit, I realized that the diaper wasn't as snug around his legs as it probably should have been. That's probably why it leaked. The flat was actually still dry a little in the back too! I am amazed at how much a bamboo diaper can absorb! Tonight I will have to double check my work and make sure that the diaper is snugger around little Riley's legs. Hopefully tonight we will be leak free!


Now for my funny story! So, the first day of the challenge, I didn't get a chance to wash my flats until late afternoon. I hung them on my portable drying rack in the last bit of sunshine in our backyard. It has been 80+ degrees and breezy here, so I was pretty confident that they would dry. Well, I got caught up with diaper changes, making snacks, dinner, playing, cleaning, feeding Riley, snuggling, reading books and all that fun stuff that goes along with toddlers and babies ...and totally forgot about the flats that were hanging outside. We went to bed, I woke up in the morning and realized that I left them outside! Whoops! I asked hubby if the sprinklers had gone off that morning. He thought that maybe it was one of the "off" mornings for our sprinkler, so he dashed outside and brought in the flats, No such luck! *Palm to forehead* They were sopping wet! Double rats! 

So, back upstairs they went for another wash and rinse. I have no idea where the water comes from that comes out of our sprinklers or if there is anything in the water, like chlorine or maybe it is even reclaimed water. Ewww. There was no way I was putting that on Riley's bum! Thankfully, with 18 flats, I still had enough for the day. Moral of the story: Even when your busy, take a peek outside before going to bed, to see if you left anything out there!

Are you taking part in the Flats and Handwashing Challenge? What do you do at night? Any funny stories from your flat diaper experience?

3 comments:

  1. Funny! I've left my diapers out on the line when the sprinklers went on too. I am unfortunately, having a bad... week and a half I think? Started going south on Mother's day. We got the stomach flu the day after, turns out we're moving in two weeks and I'm stressing about everything. Maybe next year. If I were I'd look into inserts maybe? Bamboo is awesome. I haven't looked closely at the rules so... Good luck! Have fun with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. darn! I've left clothes out too and it's never fun lol... Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweetpetunia - So sorry you are having a bad week and a half! Hope you and your family feel better soon and that your move goes well!

    Princessnorm - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete