Thursday, January 5, 2012

My First CSA Box!


For Christmas, hubby and I decided to join a CSA! (It's kind of like the gift that keeps on giving!)  We signed up to get a box of produce every other week for a year from a local farm that grows organic produce. A CSA {Community Supported Agriculture} is where you pay a fee that helps support a local farm and then you get a share of the harvest. Hubby and I both really like the idea that we are supporting a local farm that grows organic food in a sustainable way. It is also a really affordable way to get a nice variety of seasonal, organic produce and I just love the idea of learning to cook with foods that are in season! 


This weeks box had:
Beet Greens
White Carrots
Collard Greens
Dandelion Greens
Kale
Oranges
Persimmons
Salad Mix


 Yumm-o!

I am so excited to start getting seasonal fruits and veggies every other week! I can't wait to learn some new recipes and try some new foods in the process!

I was thinking about featuring a new, healthy recipe each week that included one or more of the items in my box or something I picked up at our local farmer's market (since I only get a box every other week). Any interest? I would love some ideas on what to call it too ... The Little Hedgehog Cooks or Fun With Food or ...???



No comments:

Post a Comment