Monday, January 23, 2012

The Little Hedgehog Cooks: Roasted Carrots

 

This week in my CSA box, I got:
Arugula
Beet Greens
Broccoli Raab
Carrot
Collard Greens
Kale
Lemons
Oranges
Radishes
Salad Mix (2 bags) 
Swiss Chard

Little man helping me unpack the veggies and fruits




The carrots were just beautiful and I wanted to find a recipe that would bring out their flavor. I found a recipe for roasted carrots - easy, quick and simple!


Roasted Carrots
{recipe adapted from: Epicurious}

Ingredients:
  • Bunch of carrots
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Preheat oven to 500°F with rack in lower third. Wash carrots, trim tops to 1 inch and peel carrots. 


Toss carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. (I just eye-balled it) Spread the carrots out on a large 4-sided pan. 


Roast for 20 minutes at 500°F. Reduce oven to 325°F and continue to roast, stirring occasionally, until carrots are browned and tender, about 25 minutes more.


*recipe note: my carrots were smaller than your average carrot and they were crispy after 20 minutes at 500°F. If you have smaller carrots, I might recommend roasting for 10-15 min at 500°F and then reducing the oven temperature to finish roasting.*

The carrots turned out great! They were sweet and tender and the "burnt crispy-ness" actually added a good roasted flavor. Little man loved it so much that he gobbled up his and stole some of mine! 


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment