Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Little Hedgehog Cooks: Dandelion Greens Salad


I've been inspired by my cousin's blog, Cookin' With Whatcha Got, to start sharing some recipes with some of the ingredients I get from my CSA box. (You can read about my first CSA box HERE) I was hoping to post every Saturday or maybe on Mondays...but since I'm just getting this weekly post idea started, I'm off by a few days. :) 


One of the tasty veggies in my CSA box was dandelion greens. Now, many of you might not know that these are actually edible. (I didn't, until a couple months ago when I read the recipe I adapted below) I used to feed dandelions to my pet rabbit as a child, but it turns out that they are actually really good for you and work to cleanse your liver! (Perfect for a New Year's salad!) 

So, without further ado...

Dandelion Greens Salad

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch dandelion greens - about 1-2 cups (can be found at a natural foods type grocery store like Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc. or perhaps your farmer's market.)
  • 1 cup of arugula or baby mixed greens (I used baby mixed greens)
  • 1 Tbs diced red onion
  • 1 can of sardines packed in olive oil
  • 2 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 Tbs lemon juice
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Wash produce. Chop dandelion greens into bite size pieces and add to your salad bowl.


Add the mixed greens (I didn't chop these into smaller pieces, but you can if you like) and the red onion to your salad bowl.


In a small bowl, whisk together your olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. (Taste-test to make sure you like it and add more of any ingredient, if you feel it needs a "little something extra")


there's nothing like freshly juiced lemons!
the salad dressing all ready to go!

Drizzle the salad dressing over your salad, toss all of the ingredients and serve into bowls. Then (if your taste buds are up to it) add a sardine to top each salad. Voila! Ready to eat!
* I drizzled the dressing over individual bowls, but you can just pour it in the big salad bowl.*


*I personally love sardines and think that the oil and fish offer a really nice balance to the peppery/bitter taste of the dandelion green. Mixed with the lemon juice, it makes for a very refreshing winter salad! Plus, it's a great way to add an Omega-3 boost to your meal! If sardines aren't your thing though, no worries - tuna or grilled chicken would also be tasty, or you could leave the meat out for a vegetarian dish.*

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I eat this ALL the time--WITH the sardines.

    ReplyDelete