Sunday, September 18, 2011

Slow-Cooker Pear Sauce

I love Pinterest! I love getting ideas and finding inspiration there. My biggest goal is to actually "do" some of the projects that I "pin". I have actually made quite a few things for little man - simple, easy to make (usually messy!) toddler activities are my favorites. The other week I saw this wonderful Slow-Cooker Pear Sauce recipe on Pinterest and just had to try it. One, it's in a slow-cooker...how easy is that? And two, little man loves "sauces" - I usually make him an apple-pear sauce blend on the stove top. 


So, one afternoon, I made it! It turned out super yummy and the house just smelled wonderful as it was cooking!

This is a super easy recipe to make with minimal prep-work and the clean-up is very easy. The end result is sweet and delicious pear sauce! You can find the full recipe with beautiful step-by-step pictures HERE on @ Home With Gina C. 

Recipe Ingredients:
12 pears, peeled and diced
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cup water
1 tablespoon agave nectar

*When I made the recipe, I did make a few changes. I only had 6 pears, I mixed in ground cinnamon, rather than sticks, added some freshly grated nutmeg and 2 whole cloves, and I didn't use any agave nectar (it ended up being sweet enough for little man and I, even without the sweetener).*

All diced and ready to go in the crock pot!
Adding some water and then they cooked for about 2 hours (half the time from the original recipe).
 One thing I really liked about using the crock pot, was that I didn't have to worry about it burning or getting too hot on the stove top. I wasn't constantly checking on it to make sure it was ok, which was great, I just put everything in, set the timer and left it alone! 

Two hours later (and a quick "whiz" in the blender)...

Ta-daa!

Little man loved it!


He made sure he didn't miss a drop and kept asking for more! Since, he's already eaten all of it, I'll be making a fresh batch tomorrow and this time, I think I may try leaving it a bit chunkier. It has been perfect to eat on it's own or mixed in with little man's steel cut oats at breakfast!

This is such a easy and yummy way to use pears (apples would probably work too!) as we are getting into the fall season. I will definitely be making bigger batches and freezing some!

Have you made any projects or recipes from Pinterest lately? (You can follow me on Pinterest if you'd like!) Or, do you have any tasty crock pot recipes?



No comments:

Post a Comment