"Good morning mama! Can you make pancakes?" said little man in a bright and chipper voice.
How can I resist when I am woken up with such a cute and cheerful request from my little man?!? Well, if I am going to make pancakes and just happen to have some extra prepared quinoa in the fridge that is just waiting to be used...this is the perfect recipe! Hubby and I both love quinoa pancakes and I especially like that there is the added bonus of protein and fiber from the quinoa. These pancakes definitely have more substance to them and (I think) they are super filling! I can usually only eat 2!
I got the recipe from good ol' Martha Stewart and here is the ingredient list and directions below!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice (I use Trader Joe's Organic Multi-Colored Quinoa or organic quinoa from the bulk section at our local health food grocery store, Sprout's)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- *I also add about 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract*
- I also use coconut oil on the griddle vs butter or oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt.
|Little man is a great helper in the kitchen!|
- In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, butter, milk, (vanilla extract, if using) and syrup until smooth. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with butter (or coconut oil, which hubby and I think adds an extra yummy "oomph" of flavor) and heat over medium-high. Drop batter by heaping spoonfuls into skillet.
- Cook until bubbles appear on top, 2 minutes. Flip cakes and cook until golden brown on underside, 2 minutes.
- Repeat with more melted butter (or coconut oil) and remaining batter (reduce heat if over-browning).
- Serve with maple syrup or fresh fruit or preserves.
Enjoy your tasty breakfast!