Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Walnut Milk Makin' Lactation Cookies



At the Big Latch On event that I went to at Granola Babies on the 2nd, there was a Lactation Cookie exchange that Giselle organized! To prepare, I tested out multiple lactation cookie recipes and blended a few different recipes together to make my favorite Milk Makin' Cookie recipe! Testing out so many recipes was fun and I have a well stocked fridge and freezer! I love "treating" myself to a few cookies every day and knowing that the ingredients have some potent milk production boosting power!

I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I am! Here's the recipe:

Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Walnut Milk Makin' Lactation Cookies


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons flax seeds
  • 4 tablespoons water 
  • 1/2 cup butter 
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil (Can use molasses or butter in its place) 
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (Can use all-purpose or a flour alternative in its place) 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 12 fenugreek tablets 
  • 3 Tablespoons Brewer's Yeast 
  • 3 cups oats (NOT instant oats!) 
  • 3/4 cups dark chocolate chips 
  • 1/4 cup walnuts

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the flax seeds and water in a small bowl and set aside for 3-5 minutes.

Cream the butter, brown sugar and coconut oil together. Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add in the flax seed and water mixture and the vanilla extract. Blend in well.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Open 12 fenugreek capsules and dump the powder into the mixture. Add in Brewer's Yeast and sift together.

Add the dry mix to the wet sugar and butter mixture. Mix. Add in oats, chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Mix thoroughly.

Drop cookie dough by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheets.

Bake for 12-14 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Enjoy 2-4 cookies per day! : )


I just love this picture and moment that Alison captured from the Big Latch On! {credit: Alison Bernier Kids Photography // image source}

The nice thing about this recipe is that you can adapt it to suit your preferences and needs. Don't like walnuts? No problem! Just leave them out. Don't have brown sugar? That's ok - try regular sugar instead. I also used organic ingredients, but if you don't have organic ingredients, just use what you have in your pantry. Don't need these cookies to have quite so much milk makin' power- then you can add just the Brewers Yeast or the fenugreek (not both). I personally add both, since I definitely don't have a problem with oversupply and take supplements to help with healthy lactation supply as it is. Now, for me, I haven't found that these cookies boosted my supply in some crazy way. I'm know that all women respond differently to herbs and supplements, so for some, this recipe may be overkill! Haha!  I (personally) have felt "full" more often throughout the day, but I haven't needed to pump or anything after nursing. I feel that they do give me a pick-me-up and that they are an easy and tasty way to get some extra supplements into my daily diet.

Do you have a favorite lactation cookie recipe? Did you try this recipe? Tell me what you think!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Lactation Cookie Recipes are all over the internet. The real power of these cookies is that once you have made them, you have a fast snack to help take in the extra calories and fat you need. If you wants or need some other points about it then Buy Lactation Cookies
    .

    ReplyDelete